Textile customization techniques comparison table
What technique is better to personalize textiles?
There is no exact answer to this question. It depends on each case, each garment and each design. It is not the same to want to print a thousand T-shirts with a photo than 100 sweatshirts with a simple 1-color logo. We always advise our clients -after seeing their designs- which technique or techniques are the most appropriate to stamp their creations. We look for the most optimal solution to bring your ideas to life, always looking for the best quality / price ratio.
|Serigraphy||Cutting vinyl||Vinyl Printing||Copitrans||DTG Digital Printing||Sublimation||Quadritrans||Embroidery|
|Delivery term||3-14 days||3-10 days||3-10 days||3-10 days||3-15 days||3-15 days||10-15 days||10-20 days|
|Color limit||7 colors||1 color||NO||NO||NO||NO||NO||15 colors|
|Degraded||Only with hatches||NO||YES||YES||YES||YES||YES||NO|
|Stamp on color||YES||YES||YES||Light shades||YES||NO||YES||YES|
|Stamp over white||YES||YES||YES||YES||YES||YES||YES||YES|
|Quality of the result||Very high||High||High||Medium||Very high||Very high||High||Very high|
|Breathable||Little bit||NO||NO||NO||Little bit||YES||NO||NO|
|Perceptible result to the touch||Light||YES||YES||YES||Light||NO||YES||YES|
|Wash resistance||Very high||high||high||Medium / Low||Very high||Indelible||high||high|
|Stamp other products (caps, raincoats, ...)||YES||YES||YES||YES||NO||YES||YES||YES|
Information from cheapwholesalesportsjerseys.com
What must be taken into account when choosing a printing technique?
- How is our design: with gradients or spot colors.
- How is the fabric: white or colored. Made of cotton or polyester. If it is a difficult garment.
- Color limit: some techniques such as digital printing allow printing in full color while others have more limitations such as cutting vinyl (1 color) or screen printing (6 colors).
- Color fidelity: we want a specific pantone or approximate color
- Budget: some techniques such as embroidery are considerably less economical than DTG or textile screen printing. It is important to bear in mind your budget before choosing one or another technique to make T-shirts.
- Printing quality: some stamping systems are perfect for events and advertising, but for designers or merchandising we recommend others of higher quality such as embroidery, screen printing or digital printing.
- Touch: are you more of imperceptible prints or reliefs? Sublimation is the least tactile technique while DTG and screen printing take second and third place. Embroidery, vinyl, copitrans and quadritrans are much more perceptible to the touch.
- Resistance to washing: if you want garments for an advertising event, demonstration, video clip, etc., the resistance of the print will not be important. In work clothes or garments for designers it is a must.
How to avoid the plastic finish on my t-shirts?
What is better Screen Printing or Digital Printing?
It is not that one technique is better than another. Screen printing is an artisan process that is printed color by color. Due to its tradition, resistance and good finishes, it is one of the favorite techniques of designers. The results are impeccable.
For making t-shirts and garments with photos, gradients or drawings in more than 6 colors, digital direct to garment printing is unrivaled. This printing system is printed directly on t-shirts, sweatshirts, polo shirts and bags and allows you to stamp everything you can think of.
If we look very closely at a garment stamped in DTG we will be able to see the colored dots of CMYK inks, as in paper prints. By far the results are spectacular, but you have to know that we will find those points when examining the garment. In screen printing, that does not happen.
When choosing between one or the other, 2 main factors come into play: firstly the number of colors and type of design and secondly the price. Textile screen printing is cheaper for printing drawings in few colors and large print runs. For many colors in short runs the most optimal option is digital printing.
Another defining factor is color fidelity. In screen printing we reproduce concrete pantones with a fidelity of 98%. On the other hand, in digital printing we cannot guarantee such great fidelity.
Silkscreen or vinyl?
What is the cheapest printing technique to personalize t-shirts?
For medium and small series with many colors, we recommend digital printing.
How can I make photo shirts?
Do you want to immortalize a special moment? Are you designers and want to launch a line of t-shirts with your photographs? Do you want to celebrate a fun farewell with the photo of your friends? Many of you ask us if you can stamp photographs on shirts, bags, etc. Of course you can and with incredible results!
To personalize t-shirts with a photo, depending on the type of garment, we recommend one type of printing or another:
- About cotton garments:
If you want to print T-shirts with photos or designs in full color, illustrations with gradients, etc., we recommend DTG digital printing . Digital printing has no color limit and allows printing with photographic quality directly on the garment. Without stickers and with high resistance to washing.
It can be applied to white, black and colored T-shirts, sweatshirts, polo shirts and bags.
- On white polyester garments:
An even stronger and less tactile alternative to DTG printing is textile sublimation. This method is completely imperceptible to the touch, does not rub off and is 100% breathable.
It is applied on white polyester garments, whether they are technical sports shirts or polyester shirts with a cotton touch. The latter are expressly intended to be sublimated. They are a great success in souvenir, event and promotion T-shirts, and are increasingly being seen in clothing lines.